[packagekit] 0.9 API

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:41:51 PDT 2014

Hi,

Some time ago I realized that there was
quite some blocking calls in packagekit-qt,
namely reading DBus properties was always
blocking, this has just fixed.

On the other hand all method calls are also
sync, I can overcome this with an API change
which I plan to do for 0.9 (as the API breaks
anyway), but it would be much easier if
PK API had another change.

To search for a package we have the following
DBus calls:

- org.fdo.PackageKit->CreateTransaction()
which returns a DBus Object Path, with that path we call
- org.fdo.PackageKit.Transaction->SearchPackage()

I'd like to propose to move all methods that set
a role in a transaction object to the org.fdo.interface
and remove the CreateTransaction method, so
you get:

- org.fdo.PackageKit.SearchPackage()
which returns the ObjectPath of the newly
created transaction.

This removes one IMHO useless roundtrip (createTransaction).
However I'm not sure if we might miss
signals from the transaction, if so, then
forget this idea :P

Best,

--
Daniel Nicoletti