[packagekit] One-click installation from XML file

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar dimstar at opensuse.org
Fri Oct 16 03:53:40 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 13:47 +0300, 郭云鹤 wrote:
> Hi, I am developing a web service that provides free software package
> information. Since it is a web application, users cannot install the
> software. I think the "Install" button can be a download link to a
> special XML, which can be read by native package manager to install
> the package.
>
> Can PackageKit have a feature to read '*.pkx' files:
>
> <xml>
>   <packages>
>     <package>libreoffice</package>
>     <package>libreoffice-base</package>
>     <package>gcc</package>
>   </packages>
> </xml>

The biggest problem the yast 1-click installer had to overcome is the
fact that the packages are not mandatory part of the repositories the
users have enabled on his system.. so adding a repo was an integrated
requriement to the Yast 1-click installer (*.ymp).
For PackageKit, there used to be a browser plugin, that actually
handled package installations nicely... it never lifted off and I have
never seen a website making use of it :)
Dominique