[packagekit] One-click installation from XML file

郭云鹤 guoyunhebrave at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:54:02 PDT 2015

I found ubuntu has use a special protocol to install package from web. The
link URL is like "apt://libreoffice,libreoffice-base".
https://wiki.debian.org/AptProtocol

This protocol is more convenient than download a XML file. I think it is
similar with the browser plugin you mentioned. It does not add
repositories. And users will be informed what packages they are going to
install. I think it is safer than let users copy and paste commands or
download a script without checksum.

I found in openSUSE and Fedora, PackageKit browser plugin was installed by
default. But I don't know how to generate a url. Could you tell me? Thanks!

dimstar at opensuse.org>:

> The biggest problem the yast 1-click installer had to overcome is the fact
> that the packages are not mandatory part of the repositories the users have
> enabled on his system.. so adding a repo was an integrated requriement to
> the Yast 1-click installer (*.ymp).
>
> For PackageKit, there used to be a browser plugin, that actually handled
> package installations nicely... it never lifted off and I have never seen a
> website making use of it :)
>

> --
郭云鹤(Guo Yunhe)
http://guoyunhe.me/