Running PackageKit from checkout

Noé Lopez noe at xn--no-cja.eu
Sun Oct 20 19:53:32 UTC 2024

Hi,

I am looking into making a GNU Guix backend for packagekit, but I can’t
manage to run packagekitd.

I’m using this command to configure the build directory:

env CC=gcc CXX=g++ meson setup  build -Dpackaging_backend=guix
-Dsystemd=false -Dlocal_checkout=true

This builds alright, but when it comes to launching the daemon I can’t
manage to get it working without a ton of hacks.

Firstly I cd into 'build/' so that it finds the backend directory at
"backends" and the configuration file at "../etc".  But then it would
insist on finding the transaction database in "/var", which it does not
have the permissions for.  Even then when changing the database
directory to "." like is done in the tests it starts and does nothing
then exits immediately.

I’m definitely doing stuff wrong here, what’s the correct way to run
from my local checkout?  The goal is to get "pkcon backend-details" to
work.

Have a good day,
Noé