Running PackageKit from checkout

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 12:39:35 UTC 2024

On Mon, Oct 21, 2024 at 4:01 AM Noé Lopez <noe at noé.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking into making a GNU Guix backend for packagekit, but I can’t
> manage to run packagekitd.
>
> I’m using this command to configure the build directory:
>
> env CC=gcc CXX=g++ meson setup  build -Dpackaging_backend=guix
> -Dsystemd=false -Dlocal_checkout=true
>
> This builds alright, but when it comes to launching the daemon I can’t
> manage to get it working without a ton of hacks.
>
> Firstly I cd into 'build/' so that it finds the backend directory at
> "backends" and the configuration file at "../etc".  But then it would
> insist on finding the transaction database in "/var", which it does not
> have the permissions for.  Even then when changing the database
> directory to "." like is done in the tests it starts and does nothing
> then exits immediately.
>
> I’m definitely doing stuff wrong here, what’s the correct way to run
> from my local checkout?  The goal is to get "pkcon backend-details" to
> work.

Typically, I usually install PackageKit into /usr/local (after taking
a snapshot) or I apply my patches to a package I install locally for
dev/testing. It's not the *fastest*, but it avoids these issues. Also,
the transaction database stuff is backend-dependent, so I think if you
make your Guix backend tolerant of alternative locations, it'll work
like you want.