[Piglit] Build broken since cccc419e2 (python generated tests)

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Sat Aug 6 18:24:31 PDT 2011

On 08/06/2011 05:29 PM, Paul Berry wrote:
> On 5 August 2011 19:13, Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> cmake dies for me when trying to generate your built-in tests.
>>
>> On Archlinux, /usr/bin/python and /usr/bin/python3 are Python 3.2, while
>> Python 2 is /usr/bin/python2.  cmake tries to run your scripts using
>> plain 'python', which dies quickly.
>>
>> Mesa ends up checking for the existance of 'python2' first and prefers
>> that to 'python'.  This works pretty well.  Not sure how to do that in
>> CMake.
>
> Ok, I have a patch which I believe fixes the problem on ArchLinux.
> I'll send it to the list shortly.  Would you mind letting me know if
> it works?  I have done some testing under ArchLinux, but my ArchLinux
> install is in a VM, and is only half working at this point (I started
> it this morning), so I can't test it as thoroughly as I would like.

The patch looks great and solves the problem.  Feel free to mark it with
my Reviewed-by.  Sorry for the trouble; I didn't mean for you to have to
install a whole OS just for this.  I figured changing a few files in
/usr/bin temporarily would do the trick...!

>> Also, at least some of your new scripts intermix spaces and tabs, which
>> is frowned upon in 2.x and outright prohibited in 3.x.
>
> Yeah, good point.  There's a few other Python 3 incompatibilities in
> the script too (e.g. print statements).  It's less critical to address
> these problems quickly (since we won't be able to upgrade to Python 3
> until there's a Python-3-compatible version of Numpy available for
> MacOS, and I don't know when that's going to happen).  But we might as
> well start getting ready for Python 3 now.  I'll be happy to work on
> this.
>
> Do you think there would be any objection if I standardize on using
> 4-space indentation (as recommended in
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/)?  I realize that most of
> Piglit's Python code uses tabs for indentation, but 4-space
> indentation has been recommended best practice in Python since 2001,
> and since we're probably going to be reviewing most of Piglit's Python
> code in preparation for the move to Python 3 anyhow, this seems like a
> good time to start following the standard.
>
> Paul

That's my preference as well, but I can't speak for others.

--Kenneth