[Piglit] Ideas for Wine Test Suite and Mesa Workflow

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:59:06 UTC 2016

Hi Zhenbo,

On 17 February 2016 at 04:40, Zhenbo Li <litimetal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm Zhenbo Li, applying for Wine's GSoC 2016[1]. I hope this project
> can accelerate further development for both Wine and Mesa. My idea has
> been discussed in wine-devel[2], but I'm sure whether it helps Mesa.
> While reading documents for Piglit, I got this idea: Write a script
> for Wine Test Suite in Python, and integrate it with piglit.
> Developers can just use `pitlit tests/wine_d3d` to run the test cases
> (and detect regressions in both Wine and Mesa)

Bth I'm not sure how many developers (on mesa side) actively monitor
the wine tests, although at least one of the Wine devs (Stefan
Dösinger I believe) does a form of tracking.

As adding/keeping track of all the wine tests is bound to get messy
(if tracked in piglit) so one can go the 'igt route'. Namely
keep/generate the list of tests (name + complete command line) in wine
and use the piglit test runner.

Take a look at the following two files
 - piglit/tests/igt.py
 - intel-gpu-tools/scripts/run-tests.sh

Obviously you won't need any of the root or sysfs requirements,
although I strongly recommend that wine tests provides distinction
between these four states - pass, skip, timeout and fail. How would
one detect between the states depends on you/wine devs. Having
distinction between separate tests (i.e. one can run as many tests,
independently, as possible) and tests and subtests would also be nice
to have.

Hope that helps and have fun hacking

-Emil