[Pixman] Plan to release final development version before stable branch

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 10:34:17 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 4:15 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you include my patches to fix the filtering? They have been posted
> for a
> > long time now.
> >
> > The last patch makes GOOD/BEST use filtering for scaling images down.
> This
> > matches the current Cairo behavior and would allow Cairo to use the
> pixman
> > backend rather than doing an image fallback for any image scaling smaller
> > than .75. It also contains a bunch of minor optimizaion and filter
> selection
> > tweaks that makes the output somewhat better than current Cairo.
> >
> Hi Bill,
>
> Unfortunately, I don't see anyone reviewed your patches, and from what
> I heard, those are quite significant changes.
>
> It's a shame you didn't bring this up when I did the first development
> release 4 months ago. Then we had enough time to check and test it.
> I'm quite hesitant of including such changes right before the final
> development version, even with a review.

I did send email on May 22, 2015, in response to your comments.

I suggest that you try to contact one of pixman's veterans (Soren,
> Siarhei, Matt, Pekka, Ben) offline and ask them nicely to at least
> skim over the patches and give a high-level opinion about the series.

These were discussed with Soren before. He disagreed with my previous
version because I changed to a single filter calculation rather than his
pair of filters being convoluted. This version preserves the pair of
filters, with some fixes of bugs that caused artifacts in the resulting
filters. I'm sending email directly in case they are not reading the pixman
list.

> Also, check if you need to rebase the patches against current pixman
> and if so, maybe send the series again. It might stir up a discussion.

The patches applied to the newest version without any conflicts and my test
programs still work. I have resent them to the pixman mailing list.

> I'm willing to review them in terms of correctness and code style, but
> I'm not veteran enough in pixman to give an opinion on the underlying
> changes (which is the most important issue).

Anything would be great.

I believe these work well and have been using them for a while. This would
allow the removal of redundant code in Cairo, and would allow 2-pass
filtering to be done at some point in the future, which would really
improve pixman performance.