[Pixman] Plan to release final development version before stable branch

Oded Gabbay oded.gabbay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 04:15:49 PST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you include my patches to fix the filtering? They have been posted for a
> long time now.
>
> The last patch makes GOOD/BEST use filtering for scaling images down. This
> matches the current Cairo behavior and would allow Cairo to use the pixman
> backend rather than doing an image fallback for any image scaling smaller
> than .75. It also contains a bunch of minor optimizaion and filter selection
> tweaks that makes the output somewhat better than current Cairo.

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone reviewed your patches, and from what
I heard, those are quite significant changes.

It's a shame you didn't bring this up when I did the first development
release 4 months ago. Then we had enough time to check and test it.
I'm quite hesitant of including such changes right before the final
development version, even with a review.

I suggest that you try to contact one of pixman's veterans (Soren,
Siarhei, Matt, Pekka, Ben) offline and ask them nicely to at least
skim over the patches and give a high-level opinion about the series.

Also, check if you need to rebase the patches against current pixman
and if so, maybe send the series again. It might stir up a discussion.

I'm willing to review them in terms of correctness and code style, but
I'm not veteran enough in pixman to give an opinion on the underlying
changes (which is the most important issue).

I'm really sorry I don't have a better answer.

      Oded