[Pixman] Bug Report on Linux From Scratch

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 01:31:41 UTC 2016

Hi James,

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 12:39:46 -0600
James S <sten2jam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am learning about coding in a terminal environment.  I found pixman and
> am hoping to learn more about it.  In building the code it configures
> fine.  On issuing the make command I get the following error.
>
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> CC pixman-access.lo
> pixman-access.c: In funtion 'fetch_scanline_a8r8g8b8_32_sRGB':
> pixman-access.c: 1163:2: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
>   r = to _ linear[r] * 255.0f +0.5f;
>
> Any help on this is appreciated.

As you can see on your screenshot, the GCC compiler has died and
is asking you to submit a bugreport to GCC developers. It also
provides a link to https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/ for additional
instructions.

If you can't switch to another compiler or a different compiler
version, then you can try to temporarily reduce the level of
optimizations to "-O1" as a workaround. You can do this by setting
the CFLAGS environment variable before running configure.

    export CFLAGS="-O1"
    ./configure

Even if this helps, the performance will be worse though. So the best
course of action would be resolving the compiler problem.

> Also if I could get some code snippets or a better idea of how the code
> is organized that would be great!

There is not much documentation at the moment. You can look at the
comments in the pixman.h header and also at the code in the included
demos and tests.

Historically, pixman has been a kind of private API for the cairo
library and the X server, without actively trying to expand its user
base. However the API and ABI compatibility between different pixman
versions is preserved and there haven't been any compatibility breaking
changes for years. In other words, everything is very stable.

Yes, it may be a good idea to improve the documentation. Together with
many other nice to have things.

--
Regards,
Sierž