Time for me to say something

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Feb 4 11:20:22 EET 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:10:19PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:52 pm, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > As for xlibs, I don't think there's a whole lot of explanation needed.
> > XFree86's license is GPL-incompatible. This includes the libs, so it's
> > actually illegal to run KDE now if you use anything under XFree86's 1.1
> > license. We're also actually maintaining these libs upstream, and are
> > working on trimming their size, making them quicker, et al.
> How about making the X libs (and perhaps the server) (L)GPL'd? That could help
> in a few cases (eg getting tight tie-in for the VNC server).

The libs will definitely not be GPLed (it's kind of handy to have
proprietary apps be able to use X), and Keith and Jim don't really see
what's so wrong with the MIT/X11 license that it needs to be changed to
LGPL.

> > As for Cairo, there's really no competition in the space: GhostScript
> > and libart are terrible. If you don't believe me, check out Keith's
> > presentation from LCA. I think having these sort of primitives around is
> > pretty important; then again, I'm not a graphics programmer. Nor do I
> > even resemble one. I'm just deferring to vast experience here. ;)
> I was at that talk. Remember you could re-implement GhostScript using cairo...

Yah.

> > > I'm thinking that some of the really common libs are also worth
> > > packaging, even if you don't hold them locally. bzlib, libpng, that sort
> > > of thing. Given a kernel, a compiler and libc, get the stuff I'm going to
> > > need to build KDE or Gnome. OK, so it won't be that clear....
> >
> > Interesting; I think a lot of this ground is covered by distributions
> > already, but I'm having trouble thinking of 'why not'.
> You are already in overlap with distros.

Yes, but to a kind of sensible degree. THe question is whether what
you're proposing is sensible, or not. :)

> > > I liked it too, but it isn't clear where it is going to fit into KDE.
> > > Probably needs to mature - maybe a couple of separate releases?
> >
> > Cairo will need at least one release before it gets in, yeah. As for
> > KDE, doesn't it do a whole bunch of SVG stuff? AFAICT, KSVG could
> > (should?) also be migrated to use Cairo instead of libart.
> Should it be a KDE thing? Or a Qt thing? KSVG isn't that big right now, but
> might be more important later.

I don't know, to be honest. fredh is the guy to ask about that.

> > The thing about a platform, though, is that it's a single unified
> > platform. You don't have 'optional' bits. Or do you?
> I think you'll have to, at some stage.
>
> > Yes, definitely. Anyone know some good collections?
> Jim G. did some important work in this area, and has some very important
> lessons.

Coolness.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>