hey, remember the platform?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 1 06:22:59 EEST 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 07:31, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Chris Lee">
>
> > We're not putting things in the platform in order to evangelize them.
> > We're simply collecting things in the platform that are *already* used by
> > the majority of the desktop projects - Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, KDE,
> > GNOME, etc - and saying "These projects work well with this collection of
> > software, and these versions of the projects comprise version X.Y of the
> > fd.o Platform."
>
> Hrm, note that Cairo is in use by the majority of desktop projects. I'm not

would you care to list which desktop projects these are, what cairo's role in
them is and what versions have shipped with Cairo?

AFAIK, the Gtk+ 2.8 will use it, thought that hasn't been release yet (2.7 was
released on Jun 20?).
the to be released GNOME 2.10 may use Gtk+ 2.8, but that might wait for 2.12?
Cairo is being experimented with in OpenOffice (Meeks is doing/leading much of
that?)
there's an option Cairo back end to Mozilla.org's optional and in-progress SVG
support.

what am i missing or have gotten wrong in the above list? because given that
list, not one major desktop project has released production software uses
Cairo, and Gtk+ seems to be the on most committed to it (and by extension
GNOME).

and in that list, two of those projects are applications, not desktops envs.
given that, should we line up all desktop application software and see how it
shakes out? hrm.

so what impact does this have on the platform?

given that cairo is pretty youthful code (many will tell you that the API
needs help) that is not used in any stable shipping product that i know of i
don't think rushing it into an FD.o blessed platform is particularly useful.

then again, as being in a project that has examined cairo and is not currently
using it with no concrete plans to ever use it at this point, such a decision
really doesn't impact on me other than to guage the relevance of the "FD.o
platform" to me, my software and those who build on top of it and to guage
the point and purpose of the excercise here.

--
Aaron J. Seigo