[SPAM] Re: [theme] show Plymouth Script values

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at osku.de
Sat Jan 9 02:18:07 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 08:07 +0000, Charlie Brej wrote:
> On 09/01/10 02:49, Ray Strode wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Adrian Glaubitz
> > <glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de>  wrote:
> >> Hi Ray,

> >> What do you think of committing these themes into master? I mean,
> >> there aren't still so many available, are there? It's certainly a nice
> >> thing to ship with quite a neat set of themes by default.
> > Not sure.  There are advantages and disadvantages.
> >
> > At this point in the game, the plugin api isn't gauranteed to be
> > stable, so getting it in-tree means we can fix it up after api
> > changes.
> >
> > On the other hand, right now we just have one representative theme per
> > plugin "engine", which makes some sense, too.
> >
> >> Or maybe there should be a separate place to collect these. It would be
> >> defintely a shame if any of these themes just "linger" around ;).
> > A couple of things we could do:
> >
> > 1) put them in tree
> > 2) create a plymouth-extra-themes module that we put these in and some
> > of the other out of three ones
> > 3) create a plymouth-script-themes module that we put all the extra
> > script engine themes in
> > 4) showcase each extra theme on the wiki with a link to a tarball for
> > just that theme
> >
> > Not sure which of those options is the best, I guess I'd be interested
> > to hear Osku and Charlie's opinions.

i like the option to keep trunk minimal best. and using the freedesktop
wiki for starters sounds a good option. but when there starts to be many
themes, a dedicated site could be more appropriate.

but... (more at bottom)

> Its best to do it like all other theme-able software does i.e. keep one default
> theme in the repo, and keep the other themes offsite. Although the plugin API
> does change, the theme one will do so far less frequently that breakage should
> be rare. Plugins OTOH are a little more compelling, but that isn't an issue yet.
>
> The values theme itself is more of a debug tool though, so that might be useful
> to have on the wiki.
>
> If anyone makes a theme, I also recommend making an entry on the theme catalogue
> sites as that is where the splashy/usplash themes are already.
>
> http://gnome-look.org/
> http://www.kde-look.org/

i would like to avoid me (or any other theme author/user) needing to
update more than one site. and wondering which "theme site(s)" to even
use, is a little show stopper. (like user just checking one site, not
knowing that at site x are also plymouth themes)

but, i see a "bigger" problem. as plymouth will be integrated by the
distro in to the system, i assume things like event names from
SetUpdateStatusFunction will be different, so some themes are more
"compatible" with distro x than with distro y. but maybe that is the
only thing thats different on distros ?

does freedesktop.org have a theme site ?

> Hosting your own files is no longer a problem with sites like gitorious (google
> code and many others) which seem great for this stuff.

yup, thats why i didn't name my project (at gitorious.org) "Plymouth
Themes", so it's still free for a general project where people could
have their repos ;)

(i just now started to use a DVCS and i couldn't live without it
anymore. really a must for anyone who has changing text files :)

and with DVCS it would be very easy for people (devs) to do
forks/branches that tailor the "orginal" theme to work in distro x.

so my ideal solution would be that there is only one place (that is not
bound to a distro or desktop/toolkit) for the user to find* plymouth
plugin themes.

maybe just a "simple" link database to where the themes are hosted...

cheers
.andre