Plymouth and virtualbox

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Thu Aug 28 02:55:59 PDT 2014

Hi.

Thanks for you help.

Still, I think I need some clarification, being a bit naive in terms of
KMS, DRM and stuff.

Jorge Suárez de Lis <yo at jorgesuarezdelis.name> writes:

> I think there's exactly the same limitations as in the Nvidia proprietary
> driver. The kernel modesettng is not supported, so to get a
> graphical-capable console you need to specify a video mode.

How can I verify this : what diagnosis can I try to verify whether the
kernel modesetting is indeed the issue with vboxvideo ?

Cause the vboxvideo and drm drivers are loaded, and I can provide the
kernel with vga=xxx parameters which change the size and resolution of
the virtualbox window displaying the console and the kernel messages.

> This seems a little messy to me, but this fix should do the trick (should
> be the same on Debian):
> http://www.randomlinuxstuff.tk/2013/05/fix-ubuntu-boot-screen-after-installing.html
>
> You shouldn't need to specify the video mode, and
> *"GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=auto"* should work as well, though.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between providing the kernel
with vga=xxx args or this GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX

Also, it is not very clear what the FRAMEBUFFER=y" in
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash is supposed to do... and maybe Debian
and Ubuntu are different on this :-/

Also GRUB_TERMINAL=console may be something that interferes with the
rest of the options ?

Maybe I don't understand exactly the requirements of plymouth...

The problems with such quick howtos is that it's just not documented to
explain what each step is supposed to do, and in case things don't work,
you don't have hints on possible sources of failures.

Sorry, I'm probably just too much a newbie in these matters, but if you
can explain in more details what it tries to do WRT to drm, and how I
could get hints on whether its a limitation where patching is needed or
just a situation configuration can solve ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER