[Pm-utils] Some thoughts about some of the hooks

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Fri Oct 6 01:14:36 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:01:19AM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 07:56:11 +0200
> Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > Ok. I am going to try to move all our powersaved scripts to pm-utils,
> > and making it work with uswsusp (which is our default now) would have
> > been one of the tasks anyway :-)
>
> Very good. Takes something from my todo list;)

:-)

> >  And 01grub
> > does not restore the old config after resume anyway
>
> OK, than my point is moot.

And since every distro has a little bit different tweaks for grub (or
maybe just plain simple naming conventions for the boot entries or such),
i think the grub hook belongs in the grub package.
I have a pretty complicated logic to find out which kernel to boot next
in powersaved scripts, that is apparently obsoleted by /sbin/grubby on
fedora and that also will not work on other distros due to different
naming conventions for the kernel binary.
And since i do not believe that all distros will agree on a common kernel-
binary-naming-scheme, it is probably best to let the grub packager provide
the grub hook since he probably knows best what to do here :-)

> I'm also in discussion with davidz (HAL author) on the hal list. I
> think we just agreed that hal should just call pm-utils with the needed
> 'video quirks' on the command line. (eg: pm-suspend --acpi_s3boot
> --vbe_save).
> That way we can have the logic of skipping video suspend if s2* is
> installed at only one point; in pm-utils.

I like this.
I am trying to get the whitelist mostly out of s2ram (or only
leave it in there as an emergency debugging tool) anyway :-)

--
Stefan Seyfried                  \ "I didn't want to write for pay. I
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices      \ wanted to be paid for what I write."