[Pm-utils] Re: Resume via quirks, not using the DBUS method, Was: Release Candidates ?

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue Feb 20 10:29:16 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:01:09PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 11:59 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 00:59 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >  1. Need a pm-utils release and the associated glue for HAL. Richard,
> > >     can you drive this one (I can throw staplers at Peter if needed)?
> > >     Thanks! This is a release blocker.
> >
> > Attached patches (to pm-utils and HAL) propagate the quirk information
> > onto the tools via the command line.
>
> OK, so below is what I'm actually merging, barring complaints ;)
>
> It's basically your patch, but with the following changes:
>
> 1) license text without the "or any later version" (we haven't
>    been using that text elsewhere)
> 2) vbetool called in a wrapper, rather than calling 'checkvbetool'
>    over and over right before calling vbetool.
> 3) we expect to find vbetool in the path set in pm/functions
> 4) set acpi_video_flags to 0 (I could be talked out of this)
>    if none of the quirks are set.

This is actually a good idea (i did not do it in s2ram, and am now
hesitant to add it due to compatibility, but i should have done it).

> 5) added --quirk-radeon-off and appropriate radeontool stuff
> 6) alphabetized the help strings and option parsing
>
> ... I think that's it.  Anyway, it's below.

Looks good. However, it should (of course) use s2ram instead of radeontool,
vbetool, whatever. Would reduce the dependencies to one single package (and
upstream radeontool is seriously broken, i again urge everybody to at least
look at my patches in ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/seife/radeontool to not
switch off the light on their ATI southbridge).

Even more serious is the placement of this in 20video. It needs to be
99ZZvideo to get it running as soon as possible. Otherwise, users will
hit alt-f7 while still waiting for networkmanager to reconnect etc, and
that will lock up machines.
(And that is still too late for running those hooks, but we can only solve
 this once i have the "use uswsusp infrastructure also for suspend to RAM"-
 patches ready to first do all the hacks and afterwards restart userspace
 processes.)
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"