[Pm-utils] Re: Resume via quirks, not using the DBUS method, Was: Release Candidates ?

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue Feb 20 11:40:59 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 02:29:17PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 19:29 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
>
> > Looks good. However, it should (of course) use s2ram instead of radeontool,
> > vbetool, whatever. Would reduce the dependencies to one single package
>
> If I switched to using s2ram instead of vbetool, I'd have mjg telling me
> the same thing with the words switched ;)

Of course. This is why i will invent that evil "first post the card, then
restart userpace" in s2ram. To finally get that world domination. ;-)

> > (and
> > upstream radeontool is seriously broken, i again urge everybody to at least
> > look at my patches in ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/seife/radeontool to not
> > switch off the light on their ATI southbridge).
>
> <fedora mode>
> I will certainly have a look at those patches.
> </fedora mode>

I do not claim they are perfect, but at least i am not doing
"lspci|grep ATI|cut -d..."-like stuff to find the graphics card anymore ;-)

> > Even more serious is the placement of this in 20video. It needs to be
> > 99ZZvideo to get it running as soon as possible. Otherwise, users will
> > hit alt-f7 while still waiting for networkmanager to reconnect etc, and
> > that will lock up machines.
>
> Ok, there's a good point here.  I don't think it's quite as dire as you
> make it out to be, but it is a problem.  So I've split it to 20video
> (for suspend/hibernate) and 99video (for resume/thaw).  That should be
> enough to stop this problem in many cases.

I would just move the hook from 20video to 99video. It does not really make
a difference if you save the vbe state before or after unloading modules
AFAICT (s2ram actually saves it _very_ close to the actual suspend and
restores it as soon as possible, and i have not seen any negative side
effects of that).
And with radeontool and stuff, the later you turn off the light, the better
(in case something goes wrong, the user has a chance to see something).
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."