[Pm-utils] second suspend/resume cycle hangs on resume

Nigel Cunningham ncunningham at crca.org.au
Mon Dec 15 12:59:39 PST 2008

Hi.

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 12:47 +0000, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:34:58 -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:
>
> > Nigel wants to take as much of the userspace (including X) out of the
> > picture.
>
> Ahhh.  Yes.  That's what I have been doing.

Great.

> > The easiest  way of doing what he asks is to boot the system
> > into single-user mode by adding single to the end of your kernel boot
> > line, or by running "telinit S" from as root.
>
> Right.  I already have been booting to single and been using the pm-
> suspend command to suspend.

How about if you just

echo mem > /sys/power/state

It shouldn't make any difference, but sometimes the things that
shouldn't make any difference do make a difference anyway.

> > While I am thinking about it, which distro are you using and what
> > parameters are you booting your kernel with?
>
> Ubuntu Hardy with the 2.6.28-rc8 kernel.org kernel and Ubuntu Intrepid's
> pm-utils release (1.1.2.4-1ubuntu8).
>
> > I agree. There are some things in the pipe to make it easier, though --
> > once kernel mode setting hits mainstream most of our video related
> > suspend/resume issues should go away on supported video chipsets.
>
> I dream of the day.  :-)

I think we all do.

> One thing I'm thinking about, given that /sys/power/tm_trace is
> indicating that the resume problem is in LNXVIDEO, and I have the "i915"
> module loaded (it's one that I can not remove as something is always
> holding a reference to it) when I suspend/resume, is there any way to not
> use that module, at least to see if it's the culprit?  Is there a generic
> video module I can substitute for it?

Two things:

1) I notice that it says in the LKML message that you're still using a
2.6.24 based kernel. With issues like this, it's always best to try with
a very recent kernel too, just in case the problem has been fixed since
Hardy was released but the fix was not backported to Hardy kernels.

2) The reference to the module _might_ be due to using a framebuffer
console. If you're booting with vga=791 or such like, try temporarily
removing the vga=791.

Regards,

Nigel