[Pm-utils] second suspend/resume cycle hangs on resume

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Dec 15 04:47:33 PST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:34:58 -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:

> Nigel wants to take as much of the userspace (including X) out of the
> picture.

Ahhh.  Yes.  That's what I have been doing.

> The easiest  way of doing what he asks is to boot the system
> into single-user mode by adding single to the end of your kernel boot
> line, or by running "telinit S" from as root.

Right.  I already have been booting to single and been using the pm-
suspend command to suspend.

> While I am thinking about it, which distro are you using and what
> parameters are you booting your kernel with?

Ubuntu Hardy with the 2.6.28-rc8 kernel.org kernel and Ubuntu Intrepid's
pm-utils release (1.1.2.4-1ubuntu8).

> I agree. There are some things in the pipe to make it easier, though --
> once kernel mode setting hits mainstream most of our video related
> suspend/resume issues should go away on supported video chipsets.

I dream of the day.  :-)

One thing I'm thinking about, given that /sys/power/tm_trace is
indicating that the resume problem is in LNXVIDEO, and I have the "i915"
module loaded (it's one that I can not remove as something is always
holding a reference to it) when I suspend/resume, is there any way to not
use that module, at least to see if it's the culprit?  Is there a generic
video module I can substitute for it?

b.