[Pm-utils] [patch commit] POSIXification of pm-utils

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 02:52:46 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 14:47 -0600, Victor Lowther wrote:
> Attached patch against mainline GIT to posixify pm-utils.
> Changes made:

Victor, could you please split your patches out into small, easy to
commit sections please? Using git means we can do small commits which
makes it easy to revert a patches, or use git-bisect to find a
regression. It also means it makes life easier for you as you can commit
locally in little steps and then use git-format-patch to create the
patches for the mailing list.

When I've had to do this in the past I've found it's easiest to have two
source trees in the PWD, one pm-utils.new (with changes) and one
pm-utils.git. Create and checkout a branch "mywork" in pm-utils.git. I
then use meld to push over the changes in little chunks, and then commit
the changes every time you've finished a small patch commit into
pm-utils.git with a sensible commit message. When you have done all the
changes in pm-utils.git and there are no more changes to be made, you
can generate all the patch files and send them to the list.

Sorry to be difficult.

Richard.