[Pm-utils] [patch commit] [000] POSIXification of pm-utils

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 12:01:16 PST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 1:13 PM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008 17:22:07 Victor Lowther wrote:
> > Patches welcome.  Remember to take into account cleaning the stale
> > lockfiles in case of system reboot, including the issues surrounding
> > PID and datestamp checking.
>
> In opposite to /tmp, /var/lock is cleaned in Fedora on startup. Is this not
> the case on debian? I guess cleaning /var/lock on startup is only sane. But I
> guess to make this really sure, every maintainer of pm-utils for a distro has
> to make sure that that the lockfile is really removed on startup. A sample
> script could be added to pm-utils and a note in the README.

In Ubuntu (which is my daily use distro), /var/lock happens to be
cleaned on boot by virtue of it being mounted as a tmpfs filesystem.

However, there is nothing in the FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html) that says /var/lock
must (or even should) be cleaned on reboot, whereas /tmp does have a
recomendation to do so.

I agree that a sample cleaning script would be nice to have, and would
get rid of any potential need for PID/datestamp checking.