[Pm-utils] [patch commit] [000] POSIXification of pm-utils

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Jan 28 13:34:22 PST 2008

On Mon January 28 2008, Victor Lowther wrote:

> In Ubuntu (which is my daily use distro), /var/lock happens to be
> cleaned on boot by virtue of it being mounted as a tmpfs filesystem.
>
> However, there is nothing in the FHS
> (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html) that says /var/lock
> must (or even should) be cleaned on reboot, whereas /tmp does have a
> recomendation to do so.

I read some more through the fhs and I agree that /var/lock may not be the
right one here, because it has a specific naming convention and it is more
about locks for devices in /dev. After reading about /var/run[1], this seems
to be the best location, i.e. /var/run/pm-utils/lock. The FHS demands here
that it is cleaned and the purpose fits, too.

| Files under this directory must be cleared (removed or truncated as
| appropriate) at the beginning of the boot process.

Regards,
Till

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARRUNRUNTIMEVARIABLEDATA