[Pm-utils] error in pm-utils under gentoo

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 11:01:12 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 12:09 PM, Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 05:08:30PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 12:36 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > > setsysfont seems like a RH-ism, but i stopped complaining about
> > > RH-isms in pm-utils a long time ago :-)
> >
> > Please start again. :-)
>
> seife at susi:~/projects/powermanagement/pm-utils> grep grubby -r .
> ./pm/sleep.d/01grub:    [ -x /sbin/grubby -a -x /sbin/grub ] || return 1
> ./pm/sleep.d/01grub:    out=$(/sbin/grubby --info /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r) |grep index)
>
> Or, to say it this way: i remove
> 01grub 20video 49bluetooth 60sysfont 65alsa 90clock 99video
> from our package without anybody complaining.

Oh, people will complain no matter what we do. :)

60sysfont is already gone from current git.

01grub can disappear (if anyone complains, tell them that what they
are doing should be handled in an initrd).

49bluetooth, 05led and 95led should be pushed over to IBM (or an
interested party) to maintain, because they are thinkpad-specific
hacks.
I would not remove 99video and 20video, but I think consolidating them
into one hook and documenting why it exists on the wiki would be a
Good Thing (and something that we can use to apply public leverage to
get buggy video drivers fixed).

90clock is useless to me personally -- my hardware clock does The
Right Thing without needing hwclock hackery, and the ntpd hacks should
be directly handled by NetworkManager (if needed at all).  However,
some idea of what situation it was originally added to address would
be nice.

65alsa should be provided by an alsa package (if alsa refuses to have
their drivers to The Right Thing and save mixer/layout settings across
a suspend/resume).
Similarly, 10NetworkManager should be provided by NetworkManager.

How about a DodgyHacks category on the pm-utils wiki, or a seperate
pm-utils-dodgy-hacks project to temporarily host hooks of that type?
That way pm-utils can focus on the core hook-running infrastructure
instead of maintaining the hooks themselves.