[Pm-utils] pm-utils 1.2 development, pm-utils 1.1 maintenance

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 16:13:32 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 11:34 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> Victor Lowther wrote:
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> Backwards compatibility?

The reason for the minor version bump.  If you think the bump is too
small, say so.

> What is this complexity good for?

Robustness of the suspend/resume process and better guidance for
third-party hook writers about where their hooks should run.

> Which use cases prove that something like
> that is necessary?

Right now if a hook dies we have no way of knowing whether it should be
ignored or if it was handling something critical and we need to abort
the suspend.

Neither do we have any guidance that says "if your hook does $STUFF, it
should be $HERE in the hook running sequence."  That sort of guidance
would make it easier for other packages (like NetworkManager) to take
over maintenance of their hooks instead of leaving it up to us.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional