[Pm-utils] Making cron run after resume?

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Fri May 16 02:26:22 PDT 2008

Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 10:42 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

>> Remember, refusing to suspend should only happen in very rare cases, i
>> currently only have a few for suspend to disk:
>> - the kernel changed (security update), so we know before suspend that we
>> can't resume
>
> Some code went into vanilla around 2.6.23 IIRC which allows us to resume
> from a different kernel version, so this shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Ok, so one less reason to refuse to suspend. (I'm conservative about that
unless i have heavily tested it, though).

>> - there is no swap partition or more generally no storage for s2disk
>> configured => configuration error
>
> Mmm. Not necessarily an issue for TuxOnIce though, as the user can be
> writing to a file rather than swap (yeah, I know you don't care Stefan,
> but maybe the others do).

"or more generally no storage for s2disk". I'm sure there are scenarios for
tuxonice where you know in advance that calling the suspend method in the
kernel does not make sense.

... actually even then, the kernel (or "s2disk") should just return with an
error code and we can display a hint for the user derived from the error code.

>> "Being unable to apply video workarounds before s2ram" generally cannot happen
>> IMVHO (but i'm ready to be convinced the other way round).
>>
>> Right now, just refusing to suspend and then later exiting with != 0 exit
>> code, so that the GUIs can display a "suspend had a problem, do you want to
>> look at the Log file / file a bugreport?" message was pretty effective and
>> worked very well for me.
>
> Sounds good to me, too.

And that is what was in the code all the time (unless it was removed recently,
i have not verified it) without making the hook-running code more complex and
the rules that hook-writers have to obey more complicated.

Have fun,

	Stefan
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)