[Pm-utils] Making cron run after resume?

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:49:08 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 10:42 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> Victor Lowther wrote:
>
> > The current behavior is (effectivly) "ignore everything".  I would like
> > to make pm-utils a little smarter about how to handle things when (say)
> > needed video quirks don't get applied causing the system to hardlock on
> > resume.
>
> In my implementation (no idea how the current code does it), i just touch the
> $INHIBIT file (or even write some meaningful error message into it, which can
> be displayed to the user later) and suspending will not happen.

That functionality is still supported, and I have no plans to remove or
alter it.  Think of the proposed functionality as not so much as "the
hook signalled that that we should not suspend", it is more of "the hook
crashed, it is handling a vital suspend/resume related task, so assume
that suspend/resume will not work and abort".

> Remember, refusing to suspend should only happen in very rare cases, i
> currently only have a few for suspend to disk:
> - the kernel changed (security update), so we know before suspend that we
> can't resume
> - there is no swap partition or more generally no storage for s2disk
> configured => configuration error
>
> "Being unable to apply video workarounds before s2ram" generally cannot happen
> IMVHO (but i'm ready to be convinced the other way round).
>
> Right now, just refusing to suspend and then later exiting with != 0 exit
> code, so that the GUIs can display a "suspend had a problem, do you want to
> look at the Log file / file a bugreport?" message was pretty effective and
> worked very well for me.

If that is all the functionality you and the other distro maintaners
need, I can easily add it.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional