[Pm-utils] more man pages!

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 20 06:35:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/14 Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:
>> 2008/5/13 Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>  As a test, I have converted the xml manpages back to SGML and done a bit
>>>  more cleanup on them to test how well the manpages work with the current
>>>  SGML based build process -- the results of that conversion process are @
>>>  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vlowther/pm-utils/log/?h=man-sgml
>>>
>>>  Converting between the manpage formats (after a touch of cleanup) is
>>>  trivial -- my question for the distro maintainers is which documentation
>>>  build process (xmlto or docbook2man) best intergrates with the way you
>>>  do man pages for the rest of your packages?
>>
>> Docbook/XML is definitely the way to go.
>
> As additional information:
> Installing docbook-utils (containing docbook2man) on a plain Debian
> system, requires 131 MB of additional disk space.
> xmlto requires 18 MB.
>
> The Docbook/XML chain is much more light weight (at least on
> Ubuntu/Debian). I guess the results are comparable on other distros.

The actual minimum requirements for Docbook XML (it's used on
LInuxfromscratch) is just an xslt processor (xsltproc usually), the
Docbook XSL Stylesheets, and the Docbook XML DTDs. xmlto is just a
nice wrapper around the XML and XSLT handling. Basically, it calls
xsltproc with the right arguments to produce the output you want.

So, yeah, you don't need docbook-utils unless you also want to be
handling Docbook SGML, which we're not. I'd definitely try to use
xmlto until you find that it's broken.

--
Dan