[Pm-utils] pm-utils 1.3.0-rc1 available to testing

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 20:24:47 PST 2009

PM-utils 1.3.0-rc1 is not available for testing.  Notable changes from
the pm-utils 1.2 series:

* We now have a suspend-hybrid method that does not rely on tuxonice or
userspace suspend/resume.  It initially suspends the box, and sets an
alarm to wake up in 15 minutes.  If the system is not resumed before the
alarm goes off, it will wake up and hibernate. You should be sure
hibernate works before using this mode -- if the system fails to
hibernate, it will not go back to sleep on its own (working around this
involves better reporting from the kernel about the last sleep state --
I have a patch forthcoming for that), and if you cannot resume from
hibernate you may as well have not even tried to hibernate in the first
place.

* pm-utils can now optionally profile the hooks as they run to see which
ones are taking an unusual amount of time.  See README.debugging for
more information.

* pm-utils has its own quirk database that does not rely on HAL.  This
shold enable a complete halsectomy without compromising suspend/resume
functionality on systems that require quirks.  pm-utils ships with an
import-fdi-quirkdb utility that will translate the video .fdi quirks
into the native format, but that is just a stopgap solution until HAL
goes away for good, at which point pm-utils will take over maintenance
of the quirk database.  A pretranslated quirk database is also
available, which should be extracted into /usr/lib/pm-utils. See
README.native-quirk-db for more details.

Files for this release can be downloaded from:
http://pm-utils.freedesktop.org/releases/pm-utils-1.3.0-rc1.tar.gz
http://pm-utils.freedesktop.org/releases/pm-quirks-20091205.tar.gz

Testing and feedback is welcome, especially on systems that rely on
quirks to suspend and resume properly -- my test systems are regrettably
quirk free. :)