[Pm-utils] resume fails to turn on screen

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Tue Mar 31 11:00:46 PDT 2009

On 03/31/2009 04:49:21 AM, Joost Kremers wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have recently installed Slackware 12.2 on my Asus EeePC 4G (one of
> the
> original models with the 7'' screen).
>
> When I suspend the machine, everything works fine until I try to
> resume.
> For some reason, the screen stays blank. Pressing a key or moving the
> mouse
> don't work, switching to a virtual terminal and back to X has no
> effect
> either.
>
> If I call pm-suspend (as root) from a terminal window in X, I can
> type
> 'reboot' after resume and the machine reboots, so it is coming back
> up, X
> is working and everything. It's just the screen that stays blank...
>
> I have tried the various quirks (except for --quirk-vbemode-restore
> because
> the man page says it's probably a bad idea to use it on Intel
> hardware,
> which is what the EeePC has for video), none of them have any effect.
>
> pm-utils version 1.2.4, BTW. I'd be grateful for any pointers that
> help me
> solve this.

This procedure works for Fedora 10, so YMMV. However, Perhaps there's
something here that might be useful.

First, loot at /var/log/pm-suspend.log. It is re-written every time you
do a suspend or hibernate. Look at this file. If you don't have a line
towards the end that looks like this:
    Mon Mar 30 09:02:48 PDT 2009: Awake.
then you have a failure to resume/thaw. Hopefully what follows will be
of some help.

A common cause of this problem is a kernel module that does not get
awakened,
causing the entire process to come off the rails.

The procedure for diagnosing a hibernate/suspend problem can be found
in
the kernel documentation: Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt
at http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/power/basic-pm-
debugging.txt
for example. It's written for the novice, so don't be intimidated by
the
fact that its in the kernel doc.

You can test your findings by manually removing the module first, and
then
reloading it after.

    modprobe --verbose --remove bad_module
    pm-suspend
    modprobe --verbose bad_module

You can get additional info in pm-suspend.log thusly:
    PM_DEBUG pm-suspend

Note that pm-suspnd, etc are shell scripts, so you can follow
along with the content of pm-suspend.log

To make a permanent change, insert SUSPEND_MODULES bad_module into
/etc/pm/config.d/defaults. You may need to create the file.

Finally, don't forget to report a bug against kernel at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/