[Pm-utils] Removal of pm/power.d/sched-powersave

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 08:07:07 PDT 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:54 PM, Chase Douglas
> <chase.douglas at canonical.com> wrote:
>>

>> How a user overrides a hook and how a distro overrides a hook is
>> different. The former is well defined, but the latter is not.
>
> I had another patchset that made that well-defined, but I think I
> nuked it a couple years ago. Rewriting it should be a trivial affair.

Actually, the reason that got dropped is because distros should just
submit their hooks for inclusion or just drop/overwrite the upstream
ones they do not want. The hooks we include are really just supposed
to provide sane defaults, and if you have saner defaults we would like
to incorporate them.

>> Mostly I'm just looking for some sort of agreement on how to handle
>> distro vs upstream pm hooks.

It depends on the hook. We do not really want app or service specific
hooks - those should be pushed ro the app upstream (pm-utils provides
pkgconfig support, so adding support for pm-utils in other apps should
be fairly simple). I am interested in system level hooks, if they can
be written in a distro agnostic fashion. README.distributions in the
pm-utils tarball has more info.