[Pm-utils] Updates in pm-utils master

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 16:18:58 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 13:46 -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 14:28 -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:
> > Default powersave hooks have been merged in from the powersave-hooks
> > branch, along with a couple new ones stolen and rewritten from the
> > ones Chase Douglas has been working on.  They are now tuneable, and
> > running pm-powersave --help as root will spit out all the gory
> > details.  The defaults for these hooks Work For Me -- patches with
> > saner defaults are welcome.  These hooks will conflict with the
> > laptop-mode script, so disable or uninstall it before trying things
> > out.
>
> Thanks for all this new work! I'm sorry I haven't been able to be as
> responsive as I would like. Hopefully I will be able to spend more time
> on this soon.

Most of it was old work that I cleaned up and documented :)

> I see you grabbed the sata link power management script. This script
> actually causes some device failures on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (which is based
> on 2.6.32). We are near to releasing a stable release update to remove
> that script. I hadn't deleted it yet from our development tree in the
> hope that we could fix the kernel issue before 10.10 ships. However, I
> think it makes sense to release this script as you have it in pm-utils,
> but to disable it by default until we can confirm it is fixed in the
> upstream kernel.

It seems to be working normally for me on 2.6.34.  Can you point me at a
bug number?

> I will download and test out the new package. I think overall we'll
> probably just stay in sync with your scripts upstream now and get rid of
> our own policy package. We may drop the sound HDA powersave
> functionality and default to powersave all the time (not just on
> battery), but you've written the new script so we can easily disable it
> without having to hack around it :).

:)

> Do you know when this might be released? I hope we can pick it up for
> Ubuntu 10.10, in which case it needs to be released in the next month or
> so if at all possible.

It depends on what other feedback I get.  If I do not hear anything by
this weekend, I will call it 1.4.0-rc1, and all goes well the week after
that will be 1.4.0, along with a new pm-quirks.

> Again, thank you so much for the integration and writing of the new
> scripts. You've made this task much easier for me, and I think it will
> improve performance for Ubuntu users and users of other distros greatly.

I don't know about performance, but it should help out battery life. :)

--
Victor Lowther
LPIC2 UCP RHCE