[Pm-utils] Updates in pm-utils master

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Tue Jun 8 12:31:57 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 18:18 -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 13:46 -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> > I see you grabbed the sata link power management script. This script
> > actually causes some device failures on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (which is based
> > on 2.6.32). We are near to releasing a stable release update to remove
> > that script. I hadn't deleted it yet from our development tree in the
> > hope that we could fix the kernel issue before 10.10 ships. However, I
> > think it makes sense to release this script as you have it in pm-utils,
> > but to disable it by default until we can confirm it is fixed in the
> > upstream kernel.
>
> It seems to be working normally for me on 2.6.34.  Can you point me at a
> bug number?

I've seen two reports. The first is where we are tracking removal for
10.04 LTS:

	http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/539467

The second (which I just found) is likely a dupe, but I mention it
because comments have indicated that it has been fixed in 2.6.33:

	http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/528981

Given that we don't have any reports against 2.6.33 or later, it's
reasonable to leave it in and enabled by default I think.

> > Do you know when this might be released? I hope we can pick it up for
> > Ubuntu 10.10, in which case it needs to be released in the next month or
> > so if at all possible.
>
> It depends on what other feedback I get.  If I do not hear anything by
> this weekend, I will call it 1.4.0-rc1, and all goes well the week after
> that will be 1.4.0, along with a new pm-quirks.

Well I may throw a wrench in that :). I found two small bugs and will
follow this email up with patches.

> > Again, thank you so much for the integration and writing of the new
> > scripts. You've made this task much easier for me, and I think it will
> > improve performance for Ubuntu users and users of other distros greatly.
>
> I don't know about performance, but it should help out battery life. :)

I consider battery performance part of overall performance :)

-- Chase