[Pm-utils] hibernate and grub menu

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:36:14 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 13:57 -0300, Sebastian Gurin wrote:
> hello all.
>
> this is a question about hibernation (save state to disk). I have opensuse 11 and windows 7 in a fujitsu siemens laptop which uses pm-utils for hibernating. Grub is used for the OS choose menu.
>
> I would like to hibernate my linux session, reboot the system and start windows. Then reboot again and load the "hibernated" linux session so I can contnue with my work without configuring, openeing and starting documents, servers, etc.
>
> Hibernating in linux works fine, with the exception that after hibernate, when I turn on the system, I can't choose which OS to boot in grub menu because grub menu is not presented, and the hibernated linux session is loaded automatically.
>
> I was looking at the scripts, I ended in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99Zgrub scripts but I really don't understand where this behaviour can be changed. Is the script /usr/sbin/grubonce something to do with this?
>
> Thanks in advance, any tip is appreciated since be able of doing so will save me a lot of time...
>
> Regards

Please note a gotcha which killed some of my data - if you hibernate
your system WITHOUT unmounting some drives, when windows mounts those
drives and then logs out you end up with corrupted/lost data.

Basically, if you wish to do this please unmount all drives which
windows has access to before hibernating.