[Pm-utils] Removal of pm/power.d/sched-powersave

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Sat May 29 08:40:16 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 15:30 -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on powersave policies in Ubuntu, where we've created a
> package with a bunch of scripts. You can find some scripts I've been
> working on for Maverick at:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~chasedouglas/ubuntu/maverick/pm-utils-powersave-policy/updates/files/head:/power.d/

Take a look at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pm-utils/log/?h=powersave-hooks

I toyed around with adding more powersave scripts to pm-utils back in
2008, but there was a general lack of interest at the time.  If Ubuntu
is looking at adding more default powersaving scripts, it is probaably
time to resurrect things.

If y'all want to work on merging your powersave scripts with pm-utils,
we should be able to work something out. :)

> What I noticed is that the scheduling policies conflict with the
> sched-powersave policy in pm-utils. I would like to propose that the
> policy be removed from pm-utils, since it seems like it's on an island.
> It makes more sense to me to split the policy from the implementation.

Well, if the policy was in general more complicated than "save as much
battery life as we can while still beig useful" it might make sense to
split it out.  The only knobs I would offer by default would be ones
that would either always run with powersaving enabled or disabled while
ignoring powersave state changes -- if people want to tweak how
individual powersave hooks work, pm-utils makes it very easy for them to
drop in a hook that overrides the ones we ship by default.

> Thanks,
>
> -- Chase

Victor Lowther
LPIC2 UCP RHCE