[Pm-utils] Setting image_size on hibernate?

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 06:49:43 PST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011 3:15 AM, "Matthijs Kooijman" <matthijs at stdin.nl> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've recently switched over from swsusp to using gnome-power-manager /
> upower / pm-utils for hibernation. However, it seems that pm-utils does
> not set /sys/power/image_size before hibernating, leaving it at the
> default value of 500M (the default Debian swsusp increased this value a
> bit).
>
> Is there any rationale for not touching image_size? Having it so low,

Yes, we just use the defaults for whatever sleep module is in use and leave
it up to the distro or the end user to customize things.

> means the kernel goes out of his way to create a hibernate image of only
> 500M. Since I have 8GB of RAM, this seems to mean it just tries to swap
> out a lot of pages before hibernate. Then, after resume, half of my
> system is swapped out, including all of the software I was actually
> using. So it then takes up to a minute to swap everything back in,
> making the resume feel very sluggish.
>
> Setting image_size to something bigger than the memory I have in use
> means that the resume process is takes a bit longer (since the image is
> bigger), but removes the need for all the swapping after resume. So the
> effective time from power on to being able to work on the system again
> reduces significantly.

Indeed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=image_size&sitesearch=lists.freedesktop.org%2Farchives%2FPm-utils%2F

> Any thoughts on this issue?

I think this was not added because we decided to leave that heuristic up to
the distros.