[Pm-utils] forcing chvt with kms (nouveau) driver

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Mar 3 14:16:27 PST 2012

I have a Unbuntu laptop with kernel 3.0.0-16-generic which I'm using the
Nouveau driver on.

Sadly, this laptop panics on suspend if I am on the VT that Xorg is
running on at suspend time.  If I switch to VT 1 (log in as root and
suspend there, or even from somewhere else, say, ssh'd in) and then
suspend, it suspends fine and resumes fine and I can chvt back to the VT
with Xorg on it.

So the question is simply, how can I force suspending to chvt first and
then chvt back to the Xorg screen when resumed?

Cheers,
b.