[Pm-utils] forcing chvt with kms (nouveau) driver

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 07:31:04 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I have a Unbuntu laptop with kernel 3.0.0-16-generic which I'm using the
> Nouveau driver on.
>
> Sadly, this laptop panics on suspend if I am on the VT that Xorg is
> running on at suspend time.  If I switch to VT 1 (log in as root and
> suspend there, or even from somewhere else, say, ssh'd in) and then
> suspend, it suspends fine and resumes fine and I can chvt back to the VT
> with Xorg on it.
>
> So the question is simply, how can I force suspending to chvt first and
> then chvt back to the Xorg screen when resumed?

Copy ls /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler into
/etc/pm/sleep.d, then edit the bit that reads

elif using_kms; then
            # Using kernel modesetting?  No quirks, and do not change vts.
            remove_parameters $possible_video_quirks
            add_parameters --quirk-no-chvt
            echo "Kernel modesetting video driver detected, not using quirks."

to remove the add_parameters line.