[Pm-utils] pm-hibernate on a Lenovo T431s

Tomas Davidek Tomas.Davidek at cern.ch
Fri Nov 1 12:42:36 CET 2013

Dear all,
     I got a new laptop Lenovo T431s and I am fighting a lot with
hibernation.

When trying simply pm-hibernate from text console, the system apparently
saves the image to swap and powers off. That's ok. But when booting
again, the last message on the screen is
Booting the kernel.

I expected more info, since I set PM_DEBUG="true" in
/etc/pm/config.d/01_debug.conf

Anyway, looking in the log (/var/log/pm-suspend.log) there are thousands
of messages, it finishes with:
+ inhibited
+ [ -f /var/run/pm-utils/pm-suspend/storage/inhibit ]
+ return 0
+ date
+ log Fri Nov  1 12:19:11 CET 2013: performing hibernate
+ is_set true
+ return 0
+ local fmt=%s\n
+ [ Fri Nov  1 12:19:11 CET 2013: performing hibernate = -n ]
+ printf %s\n Fri Nov  1 12:19:11 CET 2013: performing hibernate
Fri Nov  1 12:19:11 CET 2013: performing hibernate
+ sync
+ do_hibernate
+ [ -n  ]
+ echo -n disk

Sounds like there is no message from the resume process? GRUB is set
with resume:swap=/dev/sda7, so this should be ok too....

This has been obtained with purely pm-utils,  without hibernate &
uswsusp installed. I also tried with uswsusp installed, the behaviour is
similar, the resume process hangs at similar message
resume: image successfully loaded

Frankly speaking, I don't understand the interplay between pm-utils and
swsusp, I thought these are different front-ends?

Thanks a lot for any hint in advance,

cheers,
                   Tomas