selectively denying the same user access to the same actions

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Oct 26 12:38:39 PDT 2009

Hi,

In a virtual desktop environment, the same user may have both a full
desktop (ie on display :0) and many other desktops via Xvnc.
How can I ensure that only the main desktop is allowed to
reboot/shutdown the box?

It looks to me like PolicyKit cannot make the distinction based on where
the client is when the request is made? (or am I missing something?)

There is also the problem that the virtual desktops being launched may
be anything from a full Gnome/KDE desktop to lean matchbox/fluxbox.
Those may not be PolicyKit aware either...

If PolicyKit is not the right tool for this problem, can you suggest
which way to look for solutions?

Thanks
Antoine