Licensing on early PolicyKit code

Alan Perry alanp at snowmoose.com
Wed Jul 8 14:10:32 PDT 2015

On 7/8/15 1:06 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> On 7/8/15 12:23 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>>> Hello,

>>> Which “some code” is this exactly? The current git repo doesn’t contain the
>>> word “Academic” at all, for example.
>>>       Mirek
>> That is a good question. It seems to pre-date PolicyKit 0.3, which is
>> the earliest release that I could find searching the internet.
> Looking at PolicyKit 0.3, it does include some files using that license, but it also says
>> The PolicyKit command-line tools are licensed to you under the GNU
>> General Public License version 2.

This license comment is from a header file (libpolkit.h, the contents of
which does not match any libpolkit.h that I have seen in a PolicyKit
source release).

>> libpolkit is licensed to you under your choice of the Academic Free
>> License version 2.1, or the GNU General Public License version 2.
> which seems definitive enough. Also, David is listed as the original (only?) author, so I wonder why he redirected the query elsewhere.

AFL 2.1 or GPLv2 is what the people who integrated the code thought and
they selected AFL 2.1. Then a subsequent legal review looked at the
actual license information in each file and found what I reported above,
which is ambiguous.

I was hoping that, as the author, David Z. would just confirm it is AFL
2.1 or GPLv2, but, instead, he referred me to you guys, the current
maintainers.

alan