Licensing on early PolicyKit code

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 14:27:12 PDT 2015

Hello,
> On 7/8/15 1:06 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > Looking at PolicyKit 0.3, it does include some files using that license,
> > but it also says
> >> The PolicyKit command-line tools are licensed to you under the GNU
> >> General Public License version 2.
>
> This license comment is from a header file (libpolkit.h, the contents of
> which does not match any libpolkit.h that I have seen in a PolicyKit
> source release).

> >> libpolkit is licensed to you under your choice of the Academic Free
> >> License version 2.1, or the GNU General Public License version 2.
> > which seems definitive enough. Also, David is listed as the original
> > (only?) author, so I wonder why he redirected the query elsewhere.
>
> AFL 2.1 or GPLv2 is what the people who integrated the code thought and
> they selected AFL 2.1. Then a subsequent legal review looked at the
> actual license information in each file and found what I reported above,
> which is ambiguous.
>
> I was hoping that, as the author, David Z. would just confirm it is AFL
> 2.1 or GPLv2, but, instead, he referred me to you guys, the current
> maintainers.

You are asking us about a file with non-public, unknown to us, contents and history, probably originating from a time before my involvement in the project?

I don’t know about Colin, but I see no reason why my opinion should carry any authority on what is or is not the intent of the author, or how can I even have an opinion on this question about such an (almost hypothetical) file.
    Mirek