Replacing polkit JS backend

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 21 19:30:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 10:55:04AM -0700, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> The last time this came up (when I tried to replace mozjs with Duktape), it
> was pointed out that libvirt uses JS rules [0], and there's some evidence
> that administrators are doing it as well. [1]
>
> [0] https://libvirt.org/aclpolkit.html
> [1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/1159

We had this discussion on this list back years ago, and there's this
weird thing from the documentation (man page):

       Authorization rules are intended for two specific audiences

       ·   System Administrators

       ·   Special-purpose Operating Systems / Environments

       and those audiences only. In particular, applications,
       mechanisms and general-purpose operating systems must never
       include any authorization rules.

... so arguably, anything we're shipping in Fedora or Debian which
includes Javascript rules is Doing It Wrong.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm at fedoraproject.org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>