[poppler] Proposed changes

Wilco Greven greven at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 17:34:51 PST 2005

Hello,

Thank you guys for creating this fork. It's a good to see collaboration going
on between the Gnome and KDE camp on this front.

I read in the TODO that a goal is to use as much existing infra-structure as
possible. So as a start I'd like to propose a to replace all GBools by
ordinary bools (see attached patch, no context in order to save space).

Here are some other proposals that I'd like to discuss
- Remove VMS specific code.
- Replace GooString by a string class similar to std::string or QCString,
  which can be better passed by value or const reference, with the goal to
  reduce the number of explicit deletes of strings.
- Replace GooHash and GooList by template based container classes. These can
  be STL classes or perhaps Qt classes.

The last point might seem a bit far fetched, but it can work. I do have a
working local copy of xpdf which passes Objects by value and const reference.
- My pet peeve: Reduce the number of occurences of 'delete' in the code.
  Perhaps pass Objects as value or const reference. The result will be code
  which is more readable.

The autogen.sh didn't work for me. I've copied one from cairo and changed it a
bit. I've attached it to this email.

Wilco