[poppler] Image optimization

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Sat May 21 16:31:15 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 00:58 +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> But well that thread is completely going off. I just wanted to know if your
> patch could be applied to Splash

And I hope I did answer that well enough.

> and it has ended in you beign offended
> becasue i "don't want" to use cairo, you beign offended because i say poppler
> has duplicated code. This sucks.

I'm not offended, I'm just skeptical that refactoring the xpdf code base
to avoid code duplication is the best use of our time.  If you browse
through the xpdf code base you'll see a lot of duplicated code (for
example, getting values out of a dict, verifying it's the right type and
freeing the Object) that could be reduced to make the code more
manageable.  However, I'd rather spend my time optimizing the rendering
performance or implementing new features.

Introducing new duplicated code is unfortunate, of course, and there may
be some of that in the cairo backend font construction code.  I don't
really see enough shared code between CairoOutputDev.cc and
SplashOutputDev.cc to justify a new layer of abstraction, though.

cheers,
Kristian