[poppler] hello and a question about HtmlOutputDev

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Fri Jun 9 16:40:57 PDT 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 06:36 am, Jauco Noordzij wrote:
> Because I need to convert a pdf to another rich format I need something
> that returns richer information than the TextOutputDev. Your current
> HtmlOutputDev seems to work, but the headers are not public and it seems to
> have been removed completely in cvs HEAD. In my local codebase I made a
> public version and compiled the plugin against it. But before I continue
> I'd like to know your stand on the different outputdevs. Did you remove the
> HtmlOutputDev because it was unmaintained and buggy? or because you hold
> the opinion that pdf shouldn't be converted? or some other reason?
I'd actually love to see an OASIS Open Document Format (ODF) output device.
You might like to think of this as a particular set of tags for your XML
output device. There are a number of things in PDF that can't reasonably be
represented in HTML, but would be very useful to recover into an word
processor, or presentation software package.

Brad