[poppler] Switching source control tools.

Jeff Muizelaar jeff at infidigm.net
Thu Apr 26 12:33:04 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:05:01PM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dijous 26 Abril 2007, Jeff Muizelaar va escriure:
> > So what do people, especially Albert, think? Now that 302 is merged
> > (thanks Albert) we have time to do less constructive things like argue
> > about which SCM to use :)
>
> How much time does a complete git newbie need to learn to do a checkout, diff
> and commit?
>
> Can i learn this basic things in say, less than 1 hour?

Yep, here's an ultra quick tutorial. There is some more thorough
documentation at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Infrastructure_2fgit.
I'd suggest reading through it to learn about some of the finer points
like fetch and rebase, etc.

If you want to try out the workflow for real you should have write
access to the poppler/test repository.

checkout would be something like:
$ git clone aacid at git.freedesktop.org:/git/poppler/test

Then make some modifications:
You could do something like making the print_hash() function in
read-cache.c 'static inline' instead of 'static' so that the warning
goes away.

diff is just:
$ git diff

commit the change:
$ git commit -a

and then finally push your changes upstream.
$ git push

Also, the equivalent to cvs update would be something like:
$ git pull

> If yes and nobody says NO i'd like to try a new VCS :-)

Glad to hear it :)

-Jeff