[poppler] Switching source control tools.

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Apr 27 07:23:57 PDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Jeff Muizelaar <jeff at infidigm.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:05:01PM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dijous 26 Abril 2007, Jeff Muizelaar va escriure:
> > > So what do people, especially Albert, think? Now that 302 is merged
> > > (thanks Albert) we have time to do less constructive things like argue
> > > about which SCM to use :)
> >
> > How much time does a complete git newbie need to learn to do a checkout, diff
> > and commit?
> >
> > Can i learn this basic things in say, less than 1 hour?
>
> Yep, here's an ultra quick tutorial. There is some more thorough
> documentation at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Infrastructure_2fgit.
> I'd suggest reading through it to learn about some of the finer points
> like fetch and rebase, etc.
>
> If you want to try out the workflow for real you should have write
> access to the poppler/test repository.
>
> checkout would be something like:
> $ git clone aacid at git.freedesktop.org:/git/poppler/test
>
> Then make some modifications:
> You could do something like making the print_hash() function in
> read-cache.c 'static inline' instead of 'static' so that the warning
> goes away.
>
> diff is just:
> $ git diff
>
> commit the change:
> $ git commit -a
>
> and then finally push your changes upstream.
> $ git push
>
> Also, the equivalent to cvs update would be something like:
> $ git pull
>
> > If yes and nobody says NO i'd like to try a new VCS :-)
>
> Glad to hear it :)

Yeah, that's great news Albert :)  I did an import of poppler a few
months back, you can try out Jeffs examples with that repository too
if you want:

  $ git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/poppler

and you can browse the history here:

  http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/krh/poppler.git;a=summary

Just to add a few more example commands to the list, you can also
browse history locally using

  $ git log

and if you want to inspect a given commit from the log you can say

  $ git show <hex number>

where <hex number> is the 40-digit hex number (SHA1 sum) shown with
every commit.

Let us know how it works out :)
Kristian