[poppler] Poppler 0.5.91 (0.6 Release Candidate 2) released

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at gnome.org
Wed Aug 15 07:17:38 PDT 2007

El mié, 15-08-2007 a las 11:06 +0200, Albert Astals Cid escribió:
> --- Carlos Garcia Campos <carlosgc at gnome.org>
> escribió:
> >
> > El mié, 15-08-2007 a las 02:11 +0200, Albert Astals
> > Cid escribió:
> > > Available from
> > >
> > http://poppler.freedesktop.org/poppler-0.5.91.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Highlights:
> > >   - Various memory leaks fixed
> > >   - Compile with --enable-fixedpoint. Bug #11110
> > >   - Header cleanup
> > >   - Remove dependency on debugxml. Bug #11187
> > >   - Allow access to more document metadata in glib
> > and
> > > qt4 frontends
> > >   - Several glib API frontend improvements
> > >   - Fix crash on accessing embedded files
> > >   - Build on Sun Force compiler
> > >   - Render '*' instead of the actual content in
> > > password form fields
> > >   - Fix pdftohtml complex output. Bug #9746 and
> > #11610
> > >   - Windows build fixes
> > >   - Improve Japanese font support. Bug #11413
> > >   - Do not exit the program on files that confuse
> > > libjpeg
> > >   - Update required cairo version to 1.4
> > >   - Fix CVE-2007-3387
> > >
> > > Testing, patches and bug reports welcome.
> >
> > Thank you very much, Albert! :-)
> >
> > > We WERE targetting 27th June for 0.6 :D since
> > that's
> > > already impossible what about 15th September if
> > > nothing goes horribly wrong?
> >
> > would it be possible to do it a bit earlier? 10th
> > September is GNOME
> > hard code freeze and
> > 19th GNOME 2.20 is out. We are going to break the
> > API in the glib
> > bindings again (my fault, I wanted to do it before
> > rc2 :-/) so I want
> > evince 0.10 (to be released for GNOME 2.20) to
> > depend on poppler 0.6
> > (more API stable).
> >
> > I know that GNOME schedule can't decide when poppler
> > is released. If
> > it's a problem, we can consider split the bindings
> > up, like DBus already
> > did[1]. This way we could, for example, do a release
> > for poppler-qt or
> > poppler-glib because of an API change or because
> > it's needed for the
> > project, even if there aren't significant changes in
> > poppler core.
>
> When does "a bit earlier" mean?

hmm, I don't know, maybe one or two weeks?. I think that proposing not
only a date, but also some goals or milestones, would help to have the
release in time. In other words, in addition to the feedback we could
receive from poppler 0.6 rc2, what other existent bugs do you all think
should be fixed before poppler 0.6?

> IMHO we don't have
> that much resources to split up and do separate
> releases so for the moment we should try to make our
> "major" users happy.
>
> Albert
>
> P.S: For me at the moment major users are evince and
> okular, basically because it's people from those
> projects that is also helping here so we do work, we
> decide.

Agree.

--
Carlos Garcia Campos