[poppler] Movie support

Hugo Mercier hmercier31 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 06:39:27 PST 2008

2008/1/8, Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr at pdfsages.com>:
>  Great!!   I am excited to finally see another viewer (other than
> Acrobat/Reader) do Multimedia!   This will most certainly help to
> demonstrate to users that PDF is more than just "static paper"!

Thanks for your interest.

Embedded movies or 3D are good and underused PDF features, except the
fact that you can "embed" every possible media in a PDF, even files
that cannot be read on a particular system, making the PDF file not
portable.

Maybe Adobe should impose a particular *open* format and codec for
videos and sound inclusion in PDF (imposing a closed format would be a
worse solution)

> FYI - Acrobat/Reader supports movies on all platforms for which we deply -
> Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, etc.

Really ? I know it is working under Windows and OSX, but correct me if
I'm wrong, Adobe Reader doesn't support movie playback under Linux: it
redirects to Adobe's website that says no plugin is available.