[poppler] How to know page number for links w/o loading pages?

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Sun Jan 18 08:12:20 PST 2009

Depends on what’s in the link.

A Link is just a UI element that holds either an Action or a Destination.

In the case of a destination, that can be either an indirect reference to the Page object OR it can be a string (named destination) that points into the Name tree off the Catalog.  In neither case would it be a simple page #.

Actions are more complex because there are over a dozen pre-defined action types plus there can be “custom ones”. For the standard actions, a GoTo action would take you to another page of the same document by basically wrapping up a Destination (see above).  It could also be a JavaScript action with a “this.pageNum=X”, where X is the page number to go to.  Now Poppler doesn’t currently support JS actions, but just being complete.

Leonard